Friday, November 8, 2013

Be present, or trying too.


It's true, isn't it? 

Lately, I've been making an effort to keep my phone kept in my purse or room and not to bring it out all the time. So the "go on pinterest while watching TV" thing isn't happening as much. No one wants to talk to someone when their nose is in their phone all the time. Time and place, I guess. 

I've been slowly cutting down on the amount of social media I use. Haven't gone on twitter in weeks, it's boring, no one cares that your kid took a dump in the tub. Sorry, I had too. But I didn't want to be that person who needed to check it the second class got out because gasp! I haven't check twitter in 3 hours. So that's gone. 

Yesterday, I was at work talking quickly with my co-worker about an issue I'm having at work and how stressed school is making me. As we were talking, her phone kept going off. She didn't answer the text but every time it went "ping" you could see her flinching, wanting to answer the texts. After I saw that picture today, it made me sad. Made me sad that this is our world now. Wanting, no needing to be connected every second of the day. 

I just want people to enjoy life, get the phones away from under our nose and be present in life. Read a book. Talk to people, face to face. Without wanting to ignore that person and answer some texts.  

How do you guys keep social media at bay? 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i definitely used to be much worse. but i couldn't agree with you more, now. how you feel about twitter is how i feel about fb so i'm NEVER on there. twitter is different for me because i follow a lot of evangelists etc (might be boring to some) so i enjoy keeping up with posts that have useful information. though i'm not as bad as i used to be on twitter. instagram, i'm beginning to intentionally and consciously make myself step back. good post.