Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Flags flying at half-mast


Yesterday I was overcome with emotions as I walked passed my former elementary school with the flag flying at half-masted. 

My heart has been so so so heavy the past 5 days. I'm not a mom so I don't understand how it feels to love a child and to have them taken away? I can't imagine. But am I an (almost) teacher. I cried thinking of all the children I've taught over the past 2 years and how much I love them. 

But in the end, this isn't about me. It's the 20 children, 6 educators and 1 adult who are gone. 

I want to write about what needs to be done to prevent this from happening in the USA again or in the world. I want to write about laws that need to be looked at. But that isn't going to help. Everyone knows things are going to have to change fast so other innocent lives won't be taken away. So families do not have to bury their 6 year old. So teachers don't have to put themselves infront of a killer again. So citizens won't resort to shooting and killing because they need help. 

I think that if this tragic event has taught us anything it's that we need to be telling our loved ones we love them every.single.day. hold them close. I know I have. 


No comments: