Sunday, September 11, 2011

We Remember


All week I've been watching those 9/11 specials on TLC.
My heart still breaks. 
It always will. 

It breaks for those who were working and all of a sudden a plane hits their tower but they have no clue what is going on. 
It breaks for the lives lost, 
all the innocent lives.

I was in grade 4 when 9/11 occurred. 
At 8:46am I was walking to school with my brother and dad while mom was running errands. 
Mom remembers returning a video to BlockBuster and hearing the reports on the radio. 

I remember the teachers notifying each other (I'm pretty sure the principal knew first since teachers were in their classrooms) and them calling each other while we were told to read. 

I remember feeling that something wasn't right. 
I couldn't put my finger on it but I just knew.

I remember coming home from lunch that day, and as we walking home my dad starting to tell me what happened (as much as a 9 year could understand) but yet talking with my brother (who knew more since he was in grade 8 or 9.)

I remember CNN being on and watching it. Totally speechless but yet very confused.

I remember going back to school for the afternoon and my friends buzzing about New York. 

It was hard for me to understand because a) where WAS New York?
b) what does the twin towers look like?
c) what are terrorists?

I remember my mom talking to a family-friend that night who's Sister-In-Law died in the towers. 

Over the next days I began to understand. 

So today, I want to say thank you to the police men, firefighters (and the Canadian ones who went down for weeks after to help with clean up), EMS drivers, doctors who risked their lives and those who made sure their co-workers were okay and out first before themselves. 

We will never forget what those hero's did that day ten years a go.
We will never forget those people who we lost.  
We will never forget.

*Go link up with Mandy today for blogger "day of slient."

2 comments:

Fash Boulevard said...

so beautiful. super glad i found your blog. i'm following. I'd love if you'd check out my celebrity fashion and style blog and see if your interested in following too. Thanks love. xoxo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Beautiful post! Thanks for linking up!